Slide: Surat Al-Baqara 159-160 Topic: hiding Islamic knowledge
Archive for the ‘Tafseer Ayat Al'ahkam’ Category
بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم
الموضوع: المخطط الدراسي لمادة تفسير آيات الأحكام
Re: Course syllabus for Exegesis on the Verses of Legislature in the Quran
Course title: Exegesis on the Verses of Legislature in the Quran
Course no.18, with 3 credit hrs.
Time: Saturdays and Sundays, 2-5 pm
Place: IUMN Robbinsdale, MN, 55422
Course starts June 13- July 31st.
Teacher’s Name: Aysha Wazwaz
Email address: email@example.com, all questions- unless personal- will be forwarded to the rest of the sisters.
In this course, we will be studying and scrutinizing selected Quranic verses that contain legislatures.
Some of the selected topics and verses will be:
- Exegesis on Surat Al-Baqara 101-103. Topic covered Magic and sorcery
- Surat Al-Baqara 159-160. Topic: hiding Islamic knowledge.
- Surat Al-Baqara 173-172. Topic: Permitting tayibat, and forbidding khaba’eth
- Surat Al-Baqara 219-220. Topic: Alcoholic beverages and gambling
- Surat Al-Baqara 221+ Surat Al-Mumtahina 10-13. Topic: Marrying non-Muslims
- Surat Al-Baqara 222-223. Topic: Leaving women’s bed during their menses
- Surat Al-Baqara 224-225 + Surat Alma’eda 89-92. Topic: Forbidding oaths that stand as a barrier from doing good. Rulings on Oaths.
- Surat Al-Baqara 275-281. Topic: Usury/Interest a dangerous disease in the community.
- Surat A-Nisa’ 1-4. Topic Polygamy and Islam
- Surat A-Nisa’ 34-36. Topic: Solving marital problems.
- Surat Al-Ma’eda 1-4. Topic: Permissible and forbidden foods
- Surat A-Nur:
- Introduction to the surah,
- Adultery, fornication and homosexuality, Surah A-Nur 1-3
- Accusing someone of committing illicit sexual acts. Surah A-Nur 4-5
- The story of al-ifk (the big lie). Surah A-Nur 22-26
- Surat A-Nur 27-30. Topic: etiquettes of entering others homes.
- Surat A-Nur 30-31 + Surat Al-Ahzab 59. Topic: lowering the gaze and hijab
- Surat A-Nur 32-34. Topic: Marriage
- Surat A-Nur 61. Topic: eating in others houses
- Surat Luqman 12-15. Topic: kindness to parents
- Surat Al-Ahzab 1-5. Topic Adoption
- Surat Al-Ahzab 52-53. Topic: Invitations
- Surat Al-Hujarat 6-10. Topic: Spreading news.
- Surat Al-Jumu’a 9-11. Topic: Friday prayer
- Surat Al-Muzammil 1-10. Topic: Reciting the Quran and other rulings.
The course is focused on studying the verses from the legislature perspective. We will be going back to main books of tafseer (i.e. Quranic exegesis). On some issues, we will give the preponderant (rajeh) ruling depending on the evidences. Inshaa Allah.
The subjects covered will depend to some extent on the surahs and ayat in the order that they appear in the Quran, starting from Surat Al-Baqara.
I have chosen the topics based on their relevance to the sisters lives in the U.S.
If sisters have other topics, that relate to the course. We may include them in the course inshaa Allah.
For every ayah, we will start by reading the required ayat. We will then give an analytical exegesis on certain words in those ayat. Followed by a general exegesis for those ayat. We then will mention the reason for their revelation, and the different recitations for those ayat.
Even though the class will be in English, yet we hope to succeed in giving some focuses on the Arabic synaptic in those ayat, and the influence on the understanding of those ayat.
Scholars’ comments on the ayat from different hidden angles will also be mentioned.
The main approach in this exegesis course is to scrutinize the rulings on the ayat, which will be main topic covered during class. Questions on certain rulings will be put forward, and then we will mention the scholars’ answers and their evidences in answering those questions.
Finally, we will get to what the ayat are guiding us to and the wisdoms behind the rulings the ayat cover. We then will move on to the other ayat.
- – Students are required to attend the lectures.
- – Writing a report is required. The report must cover one of the issues the course covers.
- – Presenting the report in class is very important.
- – Sisters don’t leave your reports till the last day.
Goals and Objectives:
- – Sisters attending are expected to learn the tafseer exegesis for the ayat that relate to legislature.
- – Sisters are expected to learn how scholars of tafseer covered studying the ayat that had legislature relevance.
- – We do hope that the sisters will get more knowledge on many issues that concern them.
There will be three exams for this course and other assignment papers:
- – First test 20 marks
- – Second test 20 marks
- – Third test 30 marks
- – Report and Presentation 20 marks
- – Attendance and volunteering 10 marks
Note: will accept extra credit work to improve grade scale, please see me if interested.
Alhamdulillah! There are now great sources online, from audio lectures, to books you can download
The main text book for this course is روائع البيان تفسير آيات الأحكام للصابوني
Rawae’ Albayan fi Tafseer ayat al ahkam. By Mohammad Ali Alsabooni